Again, canon-sorted; again, elaborating a lot on points made here.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
- Darla (Julie Benz) sired Angel (David Boreanaz) because it was fun and that was kind of just what she did. Lure and bite young, pretty men. Not all of them got turned, but they were all part of the game.
- Angel sired Drusilla (Juliet Landau) because, again, it was a fun game.
“She was… an obsession of mine. She was pure, and sweet and chaste.“
- Drusilla sired Spike (James Marsters) because it was fun, because she was enchanted by his cute poet thing, and because she was a little lonely traveling the world with her grandmummy and her daddy.
- The Whirlwind really only formed a “family structure” because Dru was crazy. Because she was crazy, she acknowledged the technical family lineage of their foursome: Darla was her grandmother, Angel was her father, Spike was her “boy.” They continued to be a family structure until Angel broke them up. Because Darla and Angel were the parents just stayin’ together for the kids or something, the kids (really just Dru) being the only ones who actually held to familial concepts.
- Angel and Darla eventually have a son, Connor (Vincent Kartheiser), thanks to… uhm. Some weird miracle birth since Darla and Angel were vampires, and I don’t feel licensed to discuss it since it happens on Angel where I haven’t seen yet.
- Angel did at one point express to Buffy (Sarah Michelle Gellar) that being with him would mean that she could never have a “normal life,” including children.
- Buffy vampires seem to sire people because it seems fun at the time. Procreating to maintain the species doesn’t seem to be a priority.
- Godric (Allan Hyde) sired Eric (Alexander Skarsgard) because he was impressed with his prowess in the Viking wars and wanted to save him from his wounds.
- Eric sired Pam (Kristin Bauer van Straten) because it seemed like a way to… take her from her tiresome human life?
- Lorena (Mariana Klaveno) sired Bill (Stephen Moyer) because she was too impressed by his moral character to just nom him.
- Bill sired Jessica (Deborah Ann Woll) because he was forced to in order to make up for killing another vampire.
- There aren’t many “families” in their vampire world; Eric and Pam are close, Bill and Jessica have a definite father-daughter thing going.
- Bill did at one point express to Sookie (Anna Paquin) that being with him would mean that she would never have a “normal life,” including children.
- True Blood vampires seem to either sire people because they legitimately appreciate something about them or because they have to, to maintain the species.
- Carlisle (Peter Facinelli) sired Edward (Robert Pattinson) because he was dying of influenza.
- Carlisle sired Esme (Elizabeth Reaser) because she’d tried to kill herself after losing her baby. She later became his wife and the adoptive mother of his vampire children.
- Alice (Ashley Greene) was sired because it would save her from being sired and tortured by James (Cam Gigandet).
- Jasper (Jackson Rathbone) was sired because Maria (Catalina Sandina Moreno) was a crazy bitch. He later found true love with Alice.
- Carlisle sired Rosalie (Nikki Reed) because she was beaten by her fiancee. She was forever bitter because she could never actually birth a child.
- Emmett (Kellan Lutz) was sired by Rosalie because he was dying from a bear attack. He later became her husband.
- Edward sired Bella (Kristen Stewart) because she was dying from birthing her half-vampire baby. They were already parents, and already married; he would only consider turning her once they were married.
- All of the Cullens maintain a very strong family structure. Carlisle and Esme are the “parents,” despite the fact that Esme is younger in vampire years than Edward and Jasper both; the others continue to be children even though they have been semi-alive for almost a century. Esme is fulfilled because she is a mother. Bella is fulfilled because she is a mother. Rosalie can never be fulfilled, because she can never be a mother (because though she sired Emmett, they boink, so that would be too much to think about in the land of Twilight). Alice is too awesome to care about all that.
- Twilight vampires seem to sire people because they are already dying or in danger. Either that, or because of a blood-and-sex lust that is later repented from.
In short… it’s more fun when you sire someone because it’s a game or just something you feel like doing. It’s lame when it’s done out of pity every single time.
–your fangirl heroine.